2009 Great Taste Challenge Recipes
From Our Finalists
Think you have what it takes to enter the Great Taste Challenge? Try out the 2009 finalists’ recipes and start preparing your unique dish for this year’s competition!
Great Taste Challenge
Three finalists competed at Chicago Gourmet. Dishes were tasted, judges deliberated, and Fred was announced the winner. Congratulations, Fred! View finalists
Fabio’s Favorite Wines
The Santa Margherita wines are known for their approachable flavor profiles that make them incredibly food friendly. Learn more
About Chef Fabio
Meet renowned chef Fabio Viviani, Top Chef: New York “Fan Favorite” and owner of Café Firenze. Learn more
Mint, Fig and Chianti Glazed Lamb with Spaghetti in a Lemon Chianti Cream Sauce
Paired with Chianti Classico Riserva
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 10 mint leaves chopped fine (minced)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cup Santa Margherita Chianti Classico
- 2 lemons (1/2cup lemon juice and Zest of one lemon)
- 3/8th of a cup of fig preserves
- 1/2tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1/2tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed rosemary
- 2 pounds of bone in lamb chop (4 chops)
- 4 figs
- 1/2 pound of spaghetti
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Place 1Tbl oil into a saute pan, add minced garlic, mint leaves & 1/2tsp crushed red pepper. Saute over medium heat for a minute. Add 1 cup wine,1/4 cup lemon juice & fig preserves. Simmer 3 minutes. Thicken with rue if needed
Combine granulated garlic, blk pepper, 1/2Tbl salt, 1/2tsp crushed red pepper, brown sugar & crushed rosemary. Coat lamb chops in spice mix &grill 2 minutes then flip. Coat with fig glaze & cook till desired doneness. Just before chop is done place figs on grill.
In large pot place 2 cups wine, water, 1&1/2Tbl salt & 1 Tbl olive oil. Bring to boil &drop pasta into pot. Cook al dente
Take 1/2 cup of glaze & place in saute pan. Add heavy cream & zest of lemon. Simmer for a minute. Take off heat & whisk in 1/4cup lemon juice & 1/2cup cheese. Place drained pasta in sauce & toss.
To serve place a lamb chop on plate along side pasta. Sprinkle 2 cheese onto pasta. Garnish with lemon slice, mint leaf & fig.